Many school communities are already aware of the important links between food, health and learning and are taking steps to improve their food and nutrition environments.
Consuming healthy foods and drinks every day not only improves students’ overall health but can also improve their concentration, behavior and opportunity to learn.
Do you have a canteen or school food service?
The school canteen plays an important role. It enables children and young people to act on the healthy eating messages learned in the classroom by selecting from food and drink choices that are healthy, look and taste good, and are affordable – a great way to encourage healthy eating habits. The canteen is one of the best places to role model healthy eating habits.
Do you have a lunch order system?
Lunch orders systems are fast becoming a popular way of providing food for many schools. We understand it is sometimes hard for schools to make sure the food they are providing via these systems is healthy – so we are here to help!
We offer individualized nutritional support and advice for food preparers and also support around the school setting up a lunch order system.
- For schools: 5 step guide: How to choose an external school food provider
- For parents: How to choose a healthy lunch
- For food suppliers: Fresh Made
Are you a lunch box only school?
Even if you are not providing food within your school there are a lot of benefits for you in Fuelled4life.
We offer a range of resources to help parents with lunch boxes and family meals. Or you can use our recipes to assist with cooking with the children, and the Fuelled4life Canteen Catering Guide is useful of events, schools camps and fundraising.
Why work with the Heart Foundation?
Your school will benefit from:
- Support to meet your NAG 5 and nutrition education in the curriculum requirements for the MOE
- Report on your positive changes in your next ERO report
- Improved attention, wellbeing and academic outcomes for your students
- One-on-one support from the Nutrition Advisor in your region
- Quality tools, resources and professional development opportunities
- Help with engaging and consulting with your school community, a legal requirement for schools
- Acknowledgement from a credible organisation and potential publicity for your school
For more information on other ways we can support your school, please visit www.learnbyheart.org.nz